Fears and Phobias can have a serious impact on your life, restricting the decisions you make and the lifestyle you lead.
There are many different types of fears and phobias, if yours isn’t listed here contact me to discuss what may be done to help you overcome a particular issue.
People often confuse a fear and phobia, but the essential difference is that a fear is a reaction to something that imposes or results in a real danger. It spurns the “fight or flight” instinct within us, whereas a Phobia is an irrational fear to something that poses no significant danger, and is usually associated with a particular situation or object.
The symptoms may include being in a state of panic, and an intense feeling of anxiety. Phobias can be put into the following types;
- Animal – Spiders, Rats, Birds, Dogs etc.
- Natural – Water, Heights, the Dark etc.
- Injury/Blood – the sight of Blood, Needles, Operations etc.
- Situational – Flying, Claustrophobia etc.
- Social – Open Spaces, Crowds etc.
What causes phobias?
A phobia may be a result of a childhood experience, a traumatic event where the child experiences a real fear of terror leading the mind to detach (or repress) the feeling of terror, from the feelings and stiuations that caused it.
The mind is complex and can attach the experienced fear to something else symbolic, and that object or situation may then become associated with the fear and may induce the initial terror experienced when encountered at a later time. Often a phobia may be modelled on someone else’s fear, for example if the mother has a phobia of spiders, and the child sees their mother experience extreme terror then that behaviour may also be adopted by the child and may develop as a learned behaviour pattern.
Hypnosis may help you to overcome and resolve fears and phobias. So if you suffer with a fear or phobia and want to resolve it and take back control of your life, then hypnotherapy could help you to change any negative thought patterns or beliefs, freeing you to live the life you deserve Contact me to discuss your particular issue.
List of common Fears & Phobias
- Achluophobia – Fear of Darkness
- Acrophobia – Fear of heights
- Agoraphobia – Fear of places where escape appears impossible
- Algophobia – Fear of pain
- Apiphobia – Fear/dislike of Bees
- Aquaphobia – Fear of water
- Arachnophobia – Fear of spiders
- Astraphobia – Fear of Thunder and Lightning
- Atychiphobia – Fear of Failure
- Aviophobia – Fear of Flying
- Claustrophobia – fear of being closed in/confined spaces
- Cynophobia – Fear of Dogs
- Coulrophobia – Fear of Clowns
- Dentophobia – Fear of Dentists
- Emetophobia – Fear of Vomiting
- Entomophobia – Fear of Insects
- Gephyrophobia – Fear of Bridges
- Glossophobia – Fear of Public Speaking
- Hemophobia – Fear of Blood
- Ophidiophobia – Fear of Snakes
- Ornithophobia – Fear/dislike of Birds
- Necrophobia – Fear of Death/the Dead
This list names just a few of the most common fears & phobias and is by no means extensive, if you have a fear or phobia that is not included in this list please contact me to discuss your issue.